Coming 2016, Dates TBD
Call (256) 820-8251 for Pricing Information
This is a basic handler course where the handler receives instruction to properly operate his/her K9 partner at the highest level of performance as an Explosives Detection Vapor Wake® Canine. Our Vapor Wake® K9 technology will detect explosive odor within a plume of air that comes from a person wearing or carrying explosives.
Learn more about the sciences behind Vapor Wake here.
Handlers will negotiate a challenging course with their K9 partner that will include student academics, explosives detection and operational scenarios. Graduates will have passed written tests and performance evaluations throughout the course to include a final evaluation to meet AMK9’s standards and become Vapor Wake® Certified™. An AMK9 certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of the course. The curriculum will include:
- K9 and handler safety to reduce the possibilities of accidents and associated legalities
- Care for the K9 to include grooming, symptoms of illness and disease, sanitation, disease control, identification of internal and external parasites, administering medications, first aid, conducting canine Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), feeding and disinfection of equipment
- Nutrition and K9 physical conditioning to optimize canine performance
- Proper housing in accordance with federal requirements
- The handler will receive instruction on the science principles behind K9 training. The curriculum will cover the K9’s basic needs and describe the K9’s various sensing systems.
- Utilize the best techniques and patterns to search luggage, checkpoints for pedestrian traffic, and public gathering areas
- Receive explosives and chemical safe handling, proper storage, security, transportation and contamination control.
- Demonstrate proper documentation of K9 training and utilization records to increase reliability, data collection, identify training deficiencies and track corrective actions
- Negotiate challenging operational scenarios for stronger operational performance
*If you don’t have a K9 partner and still want to attend this course, please contact us and ask about leasing or purchasing a K9 Partner.
WHAT TO BRING:
All necessary K9 handling equipment can be purchased and is not included in the price of the course. This equipment may include any necessary leashes, collars, muzzles, Vari-Kennel, food and water bowls, K9 food, rewards, grooming gear, etc. Equipment may vary, depending on the canine.
Depending on the season, students should also bring inclement weather gear, insect repellent, sun screen. However, a human hydration system, such as a Camelbak® is recommended for all seasons. Students should wear a utility uniform that’s approved by their organization.
- 40 Full-Time Operational Staff
- 150+ Run Kennel System
- 320 Acre Training Academy
- Fully Staffed Veterinary Clinic
- Over 40 office spaces and on-site classrooms
AMK9 is pleased to partner with “service dog friendly” hotels at both of our locations. To make reservations, please contact the hotel, and be sure to let them know you are a student at AMK9! We will loan you a Vari-Kennel for your hotel room.
Hampton Inn Jacksonville-Anniston Area
1041 JD&L Drive
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265
- Distance from the AMK9: 13 minutes
- 80 guest rooms with accessible rooms available
- Free hot breakfast (7 days a week)
- Outdoor pool
- Gym/fitness center
- NO Pet Fee
AMK9 understands that all dog and handler training needs are not the same. If you would like to discuss adapting one of our above courses with additional training, or creating a custom program for your unique K9 security training needs, please contact us.
For further details or inquiries please contact AMK9’s Training Division directly:
Share this Course